Got Vegus Nerve Stimulator put for seizure disorder. Difficulty in swallowing. What to do?

ENT Specialist
I can't keep anything done since I got my Vegus Nerve Stimulator put in 2 months ago for my seizure disorder. I am 27, I wiegh 177lb. I have lost 30lbs since my surgery two months ago as well because I can't keep anything done. my stimulator has been turned off and I still have these problems. My swallow test was normal. but everytime I eat or drink something I feel like I am choking so I start coughing and than get sick. This choking sinsation could happen right after I eat or it could happen an hour after, it all depends. I can't eat anything thick like pudding, gravy because that I have learned will not even make it done because it will just come right back up. Its getting worse, I can't keep this up.
Posted Sun, 30 Dec 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. A left sided VNS is used in an attempt to control seizure disorders though the exact mechanism is unknown.

2. What is the exact type and make of the VNS?

3. The side effects of VNS include acid reflux, dyspepsia and spasms of the throat, food pipe & upper gut where the Vagus Nerve supply has a regulatory role.

4. Delayed gastric emptying time and gastric stasis worsens these symptoms.

5. Try anti-reflux medication such as proton pump inhibitors (omeprazole, pantoprazole, rabeprazole and so on) along with a motility enhancers such as domperidone or levosulpride.

6. Has your chest X-ray, laryngeal, esophageal & gastric endoscopy been done done? What kind of swallowing test has been done?

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.