Got VDRL test that is non reactive but TPHA is positive 1.16. Can I donate blood?

Sir i got VDRL test that is non reactive but TPHA is positive 1.16. I have taken Minoz 1 tab daily for 10 days and Azifast tab 1 tab daily for six days. After 15 days i again TPHA test done but the result is same positive 1.16. So could you tell me what is the normal range and can i get physical with my wife without condom and how can this TPHA will be negative. Can i donate blood ? one doctor told me that once TPHA got it will remain possitive for life long. So could you tell me the complication that can arise.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 4 hours later
Thanks for the query
TPHA positive means you are having the active antibodies for syphilis. It is an indirect test to detect antibodies formed against the bacteria. The antibodies once formed never becomes negative and they remains life long however this does not mean that you are still suffering from the disease. it is a treatable condition and after succesful completion of treatment and resolution of symptoms, go for a serological test of syphilis. if it is negative for syphilis then you can go for sex with your wife without condom. however due to positive VRDL you cannot donate blood because it is already having antibodies that can cause allergic reactions
feel free for further queries
Follow-up: Got VDRL test that is non reactive but TPHA is positive 1.16. Can I donate blood? 30 hours later
Sir My VDRL is negative and TPHA is positve range 1.16. So can i donate blood. And what is normal range for TPHA. What is test name for serological test for syphilis.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 6 hours later
Thanks for the reply
The Blood products are screened for antiHCV, HBsAg, HIV and VRDL. If you have these tests negative through screening process then you blood can be donated after a successful cross match with the recipient blood. There is no specific range for TPHA that defines the TPHA as negative. It can be either positive or negative. The ratio mentioned with the TPHA shows the reactivity of the antibodies. Your TPHA rang is almost in non-reactive range, however it can never be stated as non-reactive because it becomes reactive at any stage after the re-exposure to treponema pallidum bacteria which causes syphilis. Once become positive remains for years in the body defense mechanism. the serological test is EIA (enzyme ImmunoAssay)

feel free to ask any further queries