Got UTI after fingering. Took keflex. Feeling pain and irritation inside vagina. Any suggestion?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
Hi, recently I have been experience and uncomfortable and sometimes painful sensation inside my vagina. I'm a virgin, however two weeks ago I had gotten fingered by a boy, who was also a virgin, and developed a UTI the day after. I've had these numerous times before, however not after being fingered. I also had engaged in the same contact with him a few days before and i didn't experience anything unusual.
I'm in Spain on an exchange and can't see a doctor - my host mother gave me an strong antibiotic that she takes when she gets UTIs the day I felt symtpoms of the UTI. I took this, and it was effective. The next day I took one keflex to keep it away that my dad had prescribed me (he is a doctor). Usually when I take keflex for anything I get a yeast infection - I felt one coming one so I took some yeast infection medicine. Occasionally through out the weeks I would experience a sudden sensation of pain that would quickly pass, and now they're is just a persistent uncomfortable feeling in my vagina. It is difficult to describe the sensation, it just feels very hot and irritated (no burning or itching). I've had yeast infections before and this does not feel like one. Note there was no contact between our bodily fluids apart from kissing. I'm not experiencing any other symptoms apart from an irritated vagina - my discharge is normal and there is no significant smell. The UTI has definitely passed.
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Infections

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 42 minutes later

According to your description there could be some small abrasions inside the vagina due to fingering.
Which can cause pain and irritation.
Excessive use of antibiotics can lead to vaginal yeast infections by destroying the local vaginal flora.
That may be the cause for your recurrent yeast infections after using keflex.
As you not having vaginal discharge, pain abdomen etc. no need to worry.
The abrasions will usually subside soon without need of any treatment.
So you wait for two more days possibly by that time you will get relief from your symptoms. If symptoms persist even after that better to consult gynecologist once.
Avoid disinfectants to clean the genital parts, use only XXXXXXX warm water.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Got UTI after fingering. Took keflex. Feeling pain and irritation inside vagina. Any suggestion? 21 minutes later

Thank you very much for your answer.
I have just realised I have experienced some mild abdominal pain. However, this wasn't significant to me as I sometimes experience it out of no where. Could it be related? This is the only other symptom
And as an additional note, he was very rough. I experienced some very bad pain after the first and second time. My only worry is that it has been 2 weeks, shouldn't it have healed by now?

Thank you

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Experiencing mild abdominal pain is common, which can occur during ovulation, just before menstruation etc. No need to bother about self-limiting mild abdominal pain.
Depending on the depth of the abrasion the healing can take from 1 week to 4 weeks.
The normal vaginal flora will help in healing the abrasions. But in your case as there is history of antibiotic usage and yeast infection, the efficacy of vaginal flora is doubtful.
Possibly your symptoms will subside soon.
But if you experiencing continuous pain and irritation better to consult gynecologist once with the help of your family members to find out the exact cause and take treatment accordingly.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.