Got Pancreatic cancer, take medicine for pain and have itch. Will operation be helpful?

My grandma got Pancreatic cancer, i don't know what to do, please guide me... is the operation required? the doctor tell me she must do it on other city, also does she live life time after operation? please guide me, also can you please give me Medications for stop the hurts and pain she have now? she start get itch too
Posted Sun, 15 Sep 2013 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 9 hours later
I am sorry to know about your grandma. Pancreatic cancer can be treated by operation if the disease is localized to the pancreas. It is a major surgery and carries a life-risk of 5-10%. Even then chances of recurrence are very high and the 5 yr survival rate is only 15%. If it has spread beyond the pancreas, then surgery is seldom possible.
But there is no other alternative which can produce even similar results, hence surgery is always recommended if it operable and the patient is fit enough.
Often I use paracetamol and tramadol to relieve the pain in this kind of situation. Itching may be due to jaundice. For this, antihistaminics like hydroxyzine or cetirizine produce good results.
Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer further followup queries, if any.
Follow-up: Got Pancreatic cancer, take medicine for pain and have itch. Will operation be helpful? 1 hour later
Thank you for the answer. As here my country the doctors wants only money and they dont care for the humanity I came here to ask you. So the surgery is just a more pain for her? Who habe this deseas wont have chance to live the life time right? So why the doctor says that if the surgery success she can live the life time, is that possible? And how much does this surgery cost? Can you please wrote me down the list of the pain medic and itch? The doctors here I do not trust them at all. Please explain me more and help me. I feel really lost...
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This is a difficult disease and incurable in most

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for followup.
Surgery may give her disease free survival for a period which may be worthwhile. For example, if she lives 2 years, that is also something to her. Without treatment, survival is in months. But as I said that only 15 out of 100 go past 5 years and very few past 10 years.
I am sorry I can't say how much this surgery costs in your country. If you are not satisfied with the current doctors, you may seek opinion at a tertiary care center.
I have already mentioned the medicines about pain and itch which I would use in such a patient. I am afraid that regarding exact doses and schedule you may need to consult her physician. Or else, if some of these are available over the counter, you can try those.
Best regards