Got POTS, polycolonal gammapathy. Had a pollipma on my uvula. Sexually active. Chances of HPV?

ENT Specialist
I am a 26 year old female. only had 1 sexual partner. my husband, other than an oral sex episode once in college. I had a Pap smear 2 years ago- Normal and negative for HPV. I went to the ENT for something else- and he said I had a pollipma something on my Uvula. is this HPV??? im just concerned, I have had so many health issues come up since I got "POTS" and now im going to an oncology dr. today because of "polycolonal gammapathy" :-( Ever since I had POTS- ive been having weird issues and a +ANA + ESR and now the polycolonal gammapathy . and being referred I guess... Anyway the thing on my Uvula I always thought was normal- never paid any attention to it until after I had a bout of strep and my husband kept saying "your uvula keeps sticking to the side of your mouth" anyway the ENT took it completely off... It looked like a VERY small pea sized completely round almost Clear (with maybe vein inside) - he said it looked like it was almost about to come off on its own... I thought it was just normal but I guess not.... should I really be concerned.....theres nothing else in my mouth... other than after I got strep on my left tonsil on the side of my mouth theres a red spot that's kinda squishy ut the ENT said everything looked fine.....the picture attached isn't my mouth I found it on the internet - but it looked ALMOST EXACTLY like that maybe a little more clear in color?
Posted Thu, 23 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

1. The lesion in the image is a pedunculated polyp or papilloma. The average incubation period for HPV infections is a few months. Lesions may take years to develop. The lesion may also have been a cyst arising from a minor salivary gland since is was clear. Most such lesions also seen in the nose and on the vocal cords are benign.

2. If the removed specimen has been sent for HPE (Histo-Pathological Examination), then the exact tissue may be identified. HPV DNA typing may also be done on such a sample. I assume that the base of the attachment was cauterized well.

3. Many HPV infections have no significance and treatment. A positive HPA DNA for types 16 and 18 is considered significant.

4. Get an appointment with a Dentist who can run an OraRisk HPV DNA test on a saliva sample (a Minnesota based diagnostics company).

5. A polyclonal gammopathy signifies inflammation, infection, auto-immune, drug related or many other conditions which will require a detailed work-up.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Got POTS, polycolonal gammapathy. Had a pollipma on my uvula. Sexually active. Chances of HPV? 2 hours later
thank you- no he didn't cauterize it....there wasn't even much blood. he said it was kind of just dangling there... he sent it for biopsy but told me don't even try to worry about it- yes it was pretty much clear/white - more clear. I had a significant XXXXXXX 1:160 speckled ESR 29, and lots of random joint pains in my wrists sometimes ankles, ribs and back... im seeing a rheumo who thinks I have AUTOimmune something but not sure the exact cause she said the other markers arnt showing up as much of anything - she also believe its autoimmune due to this happening 2 weeks post pregnancy. I hope I can feel safe in "Not worrying" I don't need anymore health issues. Like I said before- that thing in my uvula I feel has been there for a long time, maybe it got bigger? I don't know..... how long till it stops hurting from the "procedure" all he did was numb and clip- he wasn't even going to do it till I told him it kinda kept sticking to the side of my mouth he was originally going to just leave it alone.... but he didn't want it falling off on its own?
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. The cauterization of the base is important to destroy any abnormal issue that may have been left behind in addition to control of bleeding.

2. The HPE report will help differentiate the cause.

3. There are many complex test that have to be done in addition to the XXXXXXX and ESR before any definite diagnosis can be made.You must leave this to your Rheumatologist.

4. Operations on the palate and tongue are painful and sometimes the pain increases in the post-operative period. Inevitable contact with the saliva and food delays healing. Try using medical grade liquid glycerine to form a barrier on the wound. This will speed up healing. The pain may last a week or two.

5. Looking at the image of a similar lesion, the decision to remove it was correct.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.