Got Kidney stones while on HCG. Can take something prior during HCG that helps with preventing kidney condition?

I've used the HCG diet more than a year ago, and was very successful in losing 30 pounds. However I did get kidney stones while on HCG. My question is can I take something prior and/or during HCG that will help with the preventing Kidney ?

Thank you,
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Avinash Ignatius 14 hours later

Thanks for your Query.

HCG diet works well in reducing weight in the short term because it very low calorie diet. Most scientists believe HCG per se only has a placebo effect, while others believe it may may have some effect on suppressing appetite.

Basically a 500 cal diet is a starvation diet, that induces a state of starvation ketosis in the body. During this state there is increased level of acid that leaches calcium out of the bones and in addition promoted stone formation in kidneys. This response is a physiological response to an abnormally low calorie diet.

Since you already had stone, it is very likely that they would recur or if still existing, likely to enlarge. (Get a repeat scan to see the status of the stones)

I wouldn't recommend an HCG diet, rather would suggest a relatively less calorie restricted diet 1200-1300 calories with moderate exercise. Small permanent changes in diet and lifestyle are better in the long run to get a sustained benefit.

Keep your fluid intake about 3 lit/day restrict salt.