Got Horners when had complete thyroid taken. Suggest?

Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist
I got Horners when I had my complete thyroid taken out. will it ever go away?
Posted Mon, 21 Oct 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Kerry Pottinger 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May possibly recover.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for using Healthcare Magic.
Horner's syndrome following total thyroidectomy is a recognised complication. The possible causes include post-operative hematoma (collection of blood) pressing on the nerves, nerve damage from reduced blood supply and stretching of nerves during the operation. If the nerves do recover it may take weeks or months before recovery is complete.
I hope this is of help. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Dr K A Pottinger,