Got HCV antibodies, Hepatitis B and HIV tested negative. Want to know window periods for Hepatitis B and C testing?

Excellent

Question
Hi Doctor,
I would to know window periods for Hepatitis B & C testing. Currently, I got HCV antibodies tested after 3 months, Hepatitis B (HbsAg) tested after close to 4 m onths. I also got tested for HIV (HIV1 DNA PCR - 29 days, ECLIA method for HIV 1,2 antibodies - close to 4 months). All of them came back negative. Do I need to go for any retest for all the above three?

Also, please explain me whether there are any symptoms for Hepatitis B and C.

Thanks,
XXXXX
Posted Wed, 14 Aug 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 46 minutes later

The incubation period or the reference time for the test differs from the type of the test. The antigen test time differs from the antibody test. Usually antibody test remain positive for more than 6 months after the infection and a positive antigen test become negative after a period of 2 months after infection.

Since HCV antibodies is negative there is no need for retesting even if the exposure was 3 months prior.

You may have to get tested for Hep B antibodies, as a negative antigen test may not rule out recent past infection.

HIV DNA PCR negative along with antibody negative indicates negative status , there is no need top worry here.

Hope, I answered your query.

regards,

Follow-up: Got HCV antibodies, Hepatitis B and HIV tested negative. Want to know window periods for Hepatitis B and C testing? 11 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for your reply.

Does HbsAg test differ from Hep B Antibodies test?

Thanks,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 13 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Yes, HBsAg is an antigen test and do not test antibodies.

Follow-up: Got HCV antibodies, Hepatitis B and HIV tested negative. Want to know window periods for Hepatitis B and C testing? 12 hours later
Thank you sir.
If I go for anti hbc antibodies and anti hbs antibodies tests now (close to 5 months), and if they come back negative, can i assure that i am completely free from hepatitis b infection? And, when can i experience any symptoms and may i know what they are sir?

Thanks,
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 35 hours later

Yes, if the antibody tests are negative then you can be relieved. It then does mean that you do not have infection.

If you had the infection active then you would have fever, jaundice, abdomen pain, joint pains and clay coloured stools etc. Such symptoms can be seen with a month of infection.