Got DPT vaccine. Arm swollen and having fever. Given paracetamol. How long does the fever last?

My daughter got DPT vaccine yesterday and her arm is swollen and she is having fever. I have given paracetomol. I need to know what can I do to minimize her pain and also how long will the fever last.
thank you
Posted Sun, 29 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concern.

It is common after DPT vaccine to have fever and pain.and it takes 24 to 48 hours to settle.

Continue giving paracetamol every 6 hourly if fever is above 100F.

Apply cold compresses over injection site for 10 minutes 3 to 4 times a day.

If pain does not subside with paracetamol combination of ibuprofen with paracetamol can be given.

In case symptoms persist after 48 hours,I suggest you to get her examined by doctor to rule out any abscess formation.

Hope I have answered your query,if you have any further question I would be glad to help.

Wishing your child good health.

God bless..

Follow-up: Got DPT vaccine. Arm swollen and having fever. Given paracetamol. How long does the fever last? 12 minutes later

Thank you for your reply doctor.
I will apply cold compress for her as mentioned by you.
Her food intake has reduced and she is sleeping for most of the time.
What do you suggest to be given to her?

Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your follow up.

Decrease in appetite is due to fever itself.

Give her plenty of fluids,fruit juices,vegetable soup and soft bland diet like rice porridge.

Do not force her to eat.

Once fever will settle her appetite will resume.

Hope this helps.