Ask a Urologist   »  

Good morning and thanks for your time. Please forgive my

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Good morning and thanks for your time. Please forgive my lack-luster typing ability.... I am a 67-y/o male in excellent general health. My question pertains to Pyronies Disease and bike riding. I have a history of kidney stones and have had both lithotripsy and surgical intervention over the years. The surgical intervention was in 2014 or 2015 and it included a stent insertion into my bladder for a duration of approximately 10-12 days. Upon removal of the stent, the physician was unable to locate the loop at the end of the stent and had to probe inside of my penis for what seemed an eternity prior to snagging the loop and removing the stent. Man, didn't that freaking hurt! In addition, I have passed a "ton" of kidney stones of various sizes. About a year ago after retiring and relocating to Florida's Gulf Coast from XXXXXXX I elected to become a cyclist and purchased a very nice TREK mountain bike. I rode the bike on paved surfaces quite a few times for 15-mile stints and after a fashion, my wife and I noticed a new curvature to my erect penis.... I must say, the bike riding was very uncomfortable on my nether regions both during and after a protracted ride and lest we forget, I will admit that my wife warned me about the potential dangers to my genitals should I continue riding.... I swapped bike seats 3-4 times seeking a more comfortable saddle. No success! I purchased padded shorts and underwear as well which provided some degree of comfort. I have NOT ridden the bike since last February and my now limited exercise regimen requires more cardio work... Soooo, after this long introduction, my questions are 3-fold. 1. do you believe the bike riding could have caused the damage to my penis? 2. Would continued bike riding cause more potential damage? 3. Are you familiar with recumbent bikes where the seating position is more like a reclining position with virtually all of the weight being removed from the under-portion of the body? If so, may I assume that this type of bike might be more acceptable for my cardio without causing further damage to my penis?

Phew.... that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Many thanks for your time on a Saturday morning and I look forward to your reply.

J. LaBeau
Posted Sat, 2 Dec 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Prolonged bike riding can cause Peyronies disease

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through the history that you have narrated. Before proceeding ahead to address your concern I would like to know few more details to make precise comments on your issue:

1) What is the degree of curvature of the penis after erection?
2) Is erection painful?
3) Are you able to penetrate vagina and perform sexual intercourse to your satisfaction?
4) Do you palpate any hard nodule (Plaque) in the shaft of the penis?

The exact cause of Peyronies disease is still not known in spite of extensive research in this field but chronic trauma to the penis as in your case a bike ride is most likely the cause for your issue.

As regards, second query continuous bike ride will enhance the scarring and aggravate the situation further.

I am not familiar with recumbent bike hence am unable to make suggestions on the efficacy of such type of bikes. But to my knowledge, it will still cause pressure effect and trivial trauma to the penis during the bike ride.

Hope I have answered your query, please feel free to ask if you have more questions, I shall be happy to help you.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil..