Ask a Urologist   »  

Good morning, I have had continual UTI's I'm 80 years

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
Good morning, I have had continual UTI's I'm 80 years old. I have been averaging 1 a month.My urologist has given me prescriptions for Cephalexin 500 MG 1 capsule every night.----plus Estrace Vaginal Cream 2 times a week before going to sleep. I have 3rd stage kidney Disease----- Is it O.K. if I take these medications ? I go to the Nephroligist every4 months. Thank youMy e-mail address is YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need to monitor Blood Urea and Serum Creatinine at frequent interval .

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query .

You are known to have 3rd stage kidney disease and have been prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg once daily along with Estrace Vaginal cream .

Cephalexin when used in long term is known to have nephrotoxic effect hence you have to monitor your blood urea and serum creatinine at frequent intervals .

As regards Estrace Vaginal Cream it being used as topical agent has no side effect on kidney function.It helps to get relief from itching and prevents fungal infection due to use of antibiotics .

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions,I shall be happy to help you
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.