Good HB levels with medicines, persisting symptoms, red pin dots on body. Opinion?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Hi, I have been having chronic fatigue, joint pains and dizziness/breathlessness and nausea/metalic taste in mouth . I had bloodwork which revealed Iron deficiency HB levels 5, folate and vitamin d deficiency. I was prescribed 350mg Ferrous sulphate, 10,000 of v of vitamin d and folic acid. I recently had a Hb of 13 a few days ago! However symptoms still remaining and have also noticed alot of pin point red dots which are randomly placed in neck, back, thighs,calves and arms. Waiting to see a General Medical Practitioner but appointment is a long way off. I would value another opinion. My vitamin d meds started on 4 April and the iron a week later. Many thanks
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query on Health Care Magic.

The treatment that you are given is fine. The hemoglobin levels have improved.
The symptoms of fatigue, joint pains, and dizziness will also disappear. Continue your medication.

The pinpoint dots that you have mentioned in different parts of the body indicate a platelet deficiency. Do you have platelet count and other parameters done in your blood work up?

A decrease in platelet counts (less than 1.5 lakhs/ cubic millimeter) causes spontaneous bleeding that appears as red dots.

The cause for a decrease in platelet count or any other cause for platelet dysfunction has to be sought.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal