Good Day. My mom had a hysterectomy done nearly 2

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Mar 2015
Mar 2015

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Question
Good Day. My mom had a hysterectomy done nearly 2 years ago. They removed her ovaries, uterus, fallopian tubes and some lymph nodes. Her left leg
has been swelling ever since. the swelling used to go down some once she wear her compression stocking and elevate her leg. Now it has gotten worse. She could hardly lift it up and it hurts. Is there something she should take or do to get the swelling down.
Posted Mon, 27 Nov 2017 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Lymphatic surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I have gone through your question and understand the concerns.The swelling in the lower limb is due to the removal of lymph nodes .
The definitive treatment for this condition is the corrective surgery for the lymphatic channels of the lower limb, if feasible.
She should consult a surgeon for proper examination and treatment accordingly.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Deepti Verma
OBGYN

Follow-up: Good Day. My mom had a hysterectomy done nearly 2 44 minutes later
thank you for the answer. What will they do to her lymphatic channels if she has surgery?

Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Different connections

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
I am happy to have helped you.
Connections of the lymphatic channels are made to veins or different draining routes so that effective drainage of fluid occurs from the lower limbs, minimizing the swelling.
Dr Deepti Verma