Gonorrhea,chlamydia,urethritis,inguinal lymph,large,painful

hello, i'm 38yo male,
is it possible for gonorrhea or chlamydia symptoms (urethritis with, at the same time, a unilateral inguinal lymph node larger and a little painful at touch) gone away by their own in less than two weeks? or much probably it's (was) another type of urethritis?
thanks, best
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 57 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a good one and I will try to provide you with some information and suggestions regarding what is going on. You're asking what is the possibility that a your recent symptoms is caused by a sexually transmitted disease such as chlamydia or gonorrhea could go away on its own.

What is very important to understand in this setting is that the absence of symptoms is not the same as absence of infection.

We know from a lot of research that the bacteria which carries chlamydia or gonorrhea infections can remain in the body for many years without even causing symptoms. Sometimes what happens is that early in an exposure symptoms may be significant and then after some time immune system will get the infection under control but not completely cleared .

In your case if you did have symptoms which persisted for a period of time and has been resolved on their own in the absence of antibiotics. I really think that some testing would provide us with some guidance as far as what to do. These infections can sometimes cause damage to the reproductive system or the urethra which is why I am a big advocate of appropriate testing and treatment.

For you I recommend that you obtain a screening test for both chlamydia and gonorrhea and at the same time follow up on the results and obtain appropriate treatment if necessary. I firmly believe that the time and expense of following up on this is very worthwhile.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you have found my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding this I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert.