Gone through menopause. What is the cause of itching and dryness of the perineum?

Yes I'm a 45 year old female who has already gone through menopause. I've only had two sexual partners in my life. My first husband and current husband. I have had yeast infections here and there maybe one or two a year. I'm not on hormones. My problem is on the frontal area and on the skin beside each opening itches very much and skin get very flakey and even crusty. I gently scrub with soap then dry off the area with a towell the skin then becomes red snd the pain feels like that of a blister. HelP ???
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Asra Ishtiaq Ahmed 56 minutes later
Hello there.

Thanks for writing.

The dryness of the perineum is mainly due to menopause.

Lack of estrogen in menopause causes the skin to dry and crust. Dryness leads to itching.

The treatment of menopausal dryness consists of estrogen replacement therapy which can be use of topical, oral, or local vaginal tablets.

Yeast infections of the vagina can lead to thick white vaginal discharge with itching. White plaques can also form. These infections become more common with menopause.

Third possibility can be lichen sclerosus which is an autoimmune skin disorder. It usually occurs in postmenopausal women. It generally starts as small, smooth white patches (hypopigmentation) that appear in a symmetrical pattern on the vulva (lips of vaginal oepning). These may extend forward to the perineum and posteriorly to the anus.

You should avoid using soap as it acts as an irritant in such conditions. Just wash with plain water to keep the area clean. Dry mop with soft towel.
Wear loose clothes with cotton undergarments, which should be changed frequently.

You need to consult a gynecologist personally for proper evaluation and complete physical examination. It is a must before you start any treatment.

Kindly revert back if any further queries.