Gone through c section. Started having fits, vomiting and shaking legs. Is this post delivery psychosis?

Post Pregrancy Expert advice needed :
my 33yrs old sister gave birth to a healthy baby (2.85kg) thru c section at 6:15 pm yesterday i.e 16/10/12
everything was fine. suddenly at night ( after nearly 6 hours) her condition deteiorated ,she started vomiting, started having fits , started shaking her legs severly (convulsions). her gynaec was called but she said it was not her case. the neuro surgeon came at 9:00 am today morning and said she is suffering from post delivery psychosis and will recover in 2 days. he has also suggested mri of the brain. kindly suggest if the treatment is going in the right direction. waiting for ur reply.

Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later
After a delivery, the sudden appearance of convulsions after 6 hours can be due to a sudden rise in blood pressure. If her blood pressure is well under control, the post partum psychosis is a likely cause. A direct examination and investigations are needed for proper diagnosis.
The neurologist has correctly suggested for an MRI to detect any pathology in the brain. She needs a close monitoring and is getting the right treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.