Going to gym and taking creatine. Started back pain and palm skin peeling. What could this be?

i going to the gym 6 monsths and my trainer recommended me to take creatine as a suplement so i took 3 weeks ago, the first day i took a teaspoon and the second day a a scoop, the next day i started feeling a very bad back pain (around kindney area) so i decided not to keep taking it, but the back is still there, also i have the sensation of that area is swollen and the skin of my palms is peeling of for no reason, what type of situation is this and what can i take?
Posted Wed, 15 Aug 2012 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ravi Bansal 34 minutes later

Thanks for writing in.

Creatine is a type of protein supplement. Excessive intake of protein (>2gm/Kg per day) can lead to load on the kidney especially if the person has suboptimal kidney function.

Pain in back may or may not be because of kidney. If you get pain on bending forward or twisting your body side to side in standing position, the pain is likely to be musculoskeletal (from the muscles and bones) and not because of kidney.

But if the pain is constant or episodic without any relation to movement it may be from kidney. Pain from kidney can be associated with less urine output, high blood pressure or blood in urine. If the back area is swollen again it may be a muscle injury.

Few days of intake of creatine based protein supplements are unlikely to affect kidney. It is good to test with urinalysis and serum creatinine.

In any case if you are in doubt it is best to stop the protein powder and a physical examination by your family physician should settle the issue.

The peeling on the palms may not be related to this supplement.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more queries.