Going to gym and started losing weight. Any suggestions?

I am losing weight. I've gone from 205 to 168 since February, am currently going to the gym 5 to 6 days a week, doing cardio (bike, eliptical, or treadmill) for 45 mins per session at least 4 to 5 times a week. I've had stress tests and other heart tests and nothing shows up wrong, however, my pulse when resting is 90. Seems high to me is there something the doctors are missing? I also lift weights Monday, Wednesday, and Friday every week. Thank you for any assistance. XXXXXXX
Posted Tue, 20 Nov 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 3 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
I am a qualified and certified cardiologist. I read your mail with diligence.
You are right when you mention that doctors are missing something. Loss of 37 lbs of weight in ~9 months is significant unless you are dieting in addition to exercise protocol you are following and neither is the basal pulse of 90 beats per minute. Ask someone in family to record your sleeping pulse rate. If it is 90 or above, that means you are receiving excess of replacement therapy for thyroid (I am assuming you are being treated for hypothyroidism with thyroxine so would appreciate if you can let me know your latest thyroid function test). Good news is to beat the non-midifiable risk factor of family history of coronary artery disease you are doing adequate exercise. Keep that up. In the present scene it is not likely that your chest pains are because of heart for the simple reason you can do this much exercise if your suffering from coronary artery disease. Furthermore, your tests for coronary artery disease are normal. What you need is exclusion of other cause of weight loss, a cervical spine x-ray (to explain chest pain) and proper diet. Please discuss these issues with your doctor not necessarily a cardiologist, a balanced diet advice depending upon your choice and get back with followup query. I will be most happy to answer and suggest other measures like yogic "asana" to help you out. Good Luck.
With best wishes.
Dr Anil Grover,
M.B.;B.S, M.D. (Internal Medicine) D.M.(Cardiology)
http://www/ WWW.WWWW.WW