Going through withdrawal from Valproic Acid. Feeling extreme dizziness and some digestive disturbances, accompanied by severe fatigue. Is it related?

I am going through withdrawal from Valproic Acid. I am 64 yrs. old, female somewhat sedentary lifestyle. I have been taken off of several long-term medications in the last year and a half. It has been established that I was incorrectly diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2001. I, last year, was taking a minimal amount of Valproic Acid, 1000 mg. per day, and Abilify 20 mg. per day. I quit Abilify due to financial reasons in Dec. 2012. I was tapered off VA during the last month and quit taking it entirely 4 nights ago. (Another piece of the puzzle is the fact that I was on 180 mg. daily of Morphine Sulfate Extended Release for chronic back pain. I tapered off of that after 11 years and totally quit the morphine Sept. 21, 2012. I also left the "breakthrough medication" Norco behind.
My problem is I am having extreme dizziness and some digestive disturbances, accompanied by severe fatigue. I am guessing these symptoms are from the VA withdrawal, but I want to know how long I have to feel this way. It is very hard to function.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Documented symptoms disappear in few days

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am.

I understand you are in discomfort, but look at the brighter side, the long-term effects of all the above mentioned medications would be much more severe, than the current withdrawal symptoms you are experiencing.

Some of the most common side effects of VA withdrawal are indigestion, appetite changes, extreme dizziness, weight loss, tremors, etc. All the documented withdrawal symptoms usually resolve within a few days (7-25). If they last longer than this duration, you might have to go in for a gastrointestinal consultation, just to rule out any underlying conditions, that could be causing your symptoms; you see taking these many medications could also have irritated your inner gastric lining, so it may have to be ruled out if your symptoms do not subside.

Do write back to me for any further clarifications. I am extremely proud of you for being strong-willed and quitting these medications. May god bless you with good health always.