Going through withdrawal from Valproic Acid. Extremely fatigued and dizzy with headache. Suggest?

Nov 2013

I am going through withdrawal from Valproic Acid. I am extremely fatigued and dizzy and need to know how long i have to feel this way as i can barely function.
Headache today with dizziness. Have been taken off of several medications over the last year or more, including long-term pain medications and Abilify, among other things.
Only med I am on is Fosamax and Levothyroxin. Want to feel like a normal, functioning human soon. Need to know how long to expect to feel as bad as I do.
Posted Sun, 1 Sep 2013 in Epilepsy
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Withdrawal symptoms usually last a few days.

Detailed Answer:
In most cases, sodium valproate does not cause any withdrawal symptoms. However, in some cases, it may lead to withdrawal symptoms. Withdrawal symptoms are likely to occur more, if the medicstion is abruptly withdrawn. However, if valproic acid is gradually tapered and stopped over two months, then, these side effects are not seen.

In most cases, significant withdrawal symptoms disappear after 5-7 days, however, minor symptoms may last for a few weeks.

I hope it helps.
Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist