Going through menopause. What is causing the sharp pain in lower abdomen?

What can cause a sharp pain in the lower right abdomen, just to the left of my hip bone? I'm female but am going through menopause, so it's not ovulation.
Posted Sat, 18 Aug 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

In the part of your body which you are referring to there are several possible causes of discomfort.

The first consideration would be a mild degree of inflammation of the colon. This can cause constipation as well as bloating and gas pain.

Another possible contributing factor could be inflammation of your appendix. The appendix is a tiny piece of the: which can sometimes become inflamed and painful.

Another consideration would be a possible kidney stone. Kidney stones can cause intermittent pain.

Another possible factor could be inflammation of your worries. Even if you are in menopause if you have something going on with the ovary it can cause pain in this general area.

As far as of what to do at this point it might be reasonable to either have a pelvic ultrasound or CT scan performed in order to assess the anatomy of the organs in that area. I would suggest that you discuss this with your doctor.

Thanks again for submitting your question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have additional concerns I would be happy to discuss those with you.

Dr. Robert