Going through menopause. Have small blackhead on chest. Could it be malignant?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
hi i am 52 years old female .i am thru with my menopause since 2 years.i had a small blackhead on my let chest i.e above breast and below collarbone which has become a bump without a mouth and painful since 2 days ..i am scared ..can it be malignant or not
Posted Sat, 17 Nov 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 58 minutes later

The possibilities are:
Formation of whitehead:they occur from closed comedones or blackheads and forms bump. When become infected they will be painful.

Enlarged lymph nodes.

Benign lesions like lipoma, sebaceous cyst etc.

As the bump is noted just for two days there is more possibility for infective lesion and chances of malignancy is less.
Anyhow better to consult general surgeon once to undergo physical examination and if needed FNAC(Fine needle aspiration cytology) to find out the actual nature of the lesion and take treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Going through menopause. Have small blackhead on chest. Could it be malignant? 6 minutes later
it was always a blackhead earlier ..yesterday morning it got red lumpy and painful

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 13 minutes later

Then there is more possibility for infective lesion. It will usually get cured by taking course of antibiotics after consulting local doctor.
Meanwhile you can take analgesics to get relief from pain.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.

Follow-up: Going through menopause. Have small blackhead on chest. Could it be malignant? 2 days later
Hi doc I went to GS as advised ,, she got my mammoth and FNAC done . Reports shall come tommo , after the mammo the radiologist says she saw some calcification . Kindly tell me what s that , very worried ??

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

Usually not all the calcifications are harmful.
Breast calcifications can also occur due to benign causes like aging, inflammation, past trauma, calcium in diet.
In calcifications:
Macrocalcifications look like large white dots, they can be seen in more than 50% women of above the age of 50 years. These are usually noncancerous.
Microcalcifications look like white specks, they are also usually noncancerous.
But if they appear in patterns like clusters they can suggest precancerous cells or early breast cancer.
So you don't worry, more possibly those can be benign lesions. Your doctor can give more details.