Going for tonsil surgery and adenoid removal, have cold, belly button pierced. Issue ?

Hi I'm going into surgery for tonsil and adenoid removal on Friday and I have a cold will this be an issue?? Also I have my belly button pierced will I have to remove it?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 20 minutes later

Prior to any surgery specially involving nose and throat which involves a general anaesthesia, all the infections are always ruled out.

Having a cold is always associated with mildly inflamed paranasal sinuses and are a potent source of post operative infection thus causing further complications.

An already pierced belly button is not likely to pose any problems. If you are wearing something metallic in it then you can request the staff nurse attending you not to remove it.

For the cold, you can try steam inhalation at least thrice daily for the next two days after adding menthol crystals or few drops of eucalyptus oil to the boiling water.

You also take an over the counter available anti allergic to relieve your symptoms.

It is best to inform about the on going illnesses to your treating doctor prior to the surgery.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Going for tonsil surgery and adenoid removal, have cold, belly button pierced. Issue ? 1 hour later
I rang my ENT and told him i was on anti-biotics and he said it should be fine. The issue is i have been sick with this cold for over three months and nothing is working. I have been sick with tonsilitis since 2009 hence the removal. So if they postpone the surgery i am just going to get worse. So what can I do??

If i take out my piercing it will close up so if i wear a plastic one will it be ok??
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

If you are already taking antibiotics then it should not cause any infection.

You continue steam inhalation as i have advise you earlier. It works wonders for chronic sinusitis.

You can wear a plastic pin in the navel pierce.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.
Follow-up: Going for tonsil surgery and adenoid removal, have cold, belly button pierced. Issue ? 21 minutes later
Thank you so much,

I will try the steam for the congestion because i am very scare about the surgery.

Any tips for the surgery as i am really scared??

Thank you for all your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Tonsil and adenoid removal is a minor and safe surgery with early recovery. There is nothing to be scared of.

Please do not worry. Stay calm.

Take adequate antibiotic cover and you will be fine soon.