Going for food allergy skin test. Concerned about anaphylactic reaction

I am going for food allergy skin testing tomorrow and I am very nervous that I am going to have an anaphylactic reaction, that I am thinking of not going. Is this type of reaction possible?

Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later

Hi there. Thank you for posting your question . I will do my best to help you.

No, absolutely not. You may get an anaphylactic reaction by ingesting a quantity of food to which you are particularly sensitive. Were that the case you may have identified that food already and would not need to be skin tested for it.

In any case, skin testing involves only minute and very dilute quantities of potential allergens. These are not enough to induce an anaphylactic reaction. And even if they were, provided these tests are being carried out by a physician, then emergency treatment for shock will be available immediately.

If I were you I would keep that appointment today. Good luck!

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.