Gliotic lesions, extensive demyelinating disease

Question
i havegliotic scared lesionsand extensive demyelinatingdisease ?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 35 minutes later

I shall try to address your concern based on your current given information.

"scared gliotic lesions" ?

Gliosis or Glial scars as it is called in medical terminology means your injured nervous system i.e., brain especially is healing just like when any tissue of your body scars during injury.

Now, this process intended to be beneficial most of the time also does have little disadvantages of its own. It all depends on the clinical state of the patient and the lesions.
This is a typical finding on scans of brain after head injury.

You can read a scientific article for its microscopic details at:
WWW.WWWW.WW
"extensive demyelinating disease" ?

Commonly referred to as Multiple Sclerosis, due to unknown cause the protective covering of the nerve called "Myelin" undergoes inflammation and shreds off/degenerates exposing the nerve stalk and thus impairing nerve conduction. It mostly runs with a family history. Cure completely is not possible, but the disease can be slowed by available drugs. Support groups exist and you can find more facts at:
WWW.WWWW.WW
I hope I have answered your concern on a broad sense, now.

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations as you prepare to make decision regarding future care, you should not hesitate to contact me.

Wish you Good Health.

Follow-up: Gliotic lesions, extensive demyelinating disease 9 hours later
what is ischemic and inflamatory disease,vasculitis and hypertensive/small vessel ischemic changes pons show broad signal alteration as well as toxic demyelinating changes

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

Ischemic means there is reduced blood supply.

Inflammatory- Tissue which has undergone inflammation / reactive protective change due to injury.

Vasculitis is inflammation of the blood vessel wall.

Pons is anatomically part of mid brain.

Broad signal alteration - physical terminology of the MRI scan not related to anatomy per se but indicates physiological/pathological change due to the inflammation.

Toxic Demyelination- I explained what demyelination means in the first response.

I hope, I have explained your query.

Wish you good health.

Regards.