Ask a Urologist   »  

Glans penis turning purple. No pain. Is it normal?

The glans penis is turning blue/purple - especially on the bottom side of the glans.

There are no erection problems and it does not hurt. The blue is prevalent our the edges of the glans and is in the meat of the penis head, not the foreskin or outer skin.

It has been like this for about a month now.
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later

Glans penis is made up of plenty of blood vessel with connective tissue holding them covered by a layer of thin skin.
The colour of the glans can range from pink to light blue to purplish blue to purple. The changes may vary depending on the erectile state of the penis.

Now to answer your query; By your description, it sounds probably like an engorged vein under the skin present at the base of the glans. Since you deny history of itching, soreness or erection difficulties/painful erection, I consider such changes to be insignificant and no reasons for concern.

Hope I answered you query, if you have any follow up queries I am available for answer.