Glands under ears are swollen. What could be the reason for swelling?

When I eat I the glands on my jaw under my ears swell (I think it is the partoid glands.)This sometimes happens on both sides of my face, sometimes on one side and sometimes not at all. The swelling goes away usually within an hour. I do not have a fever or feel ill but I do clench my teeth at night. Thoughts?
Posted Thu, 12 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: OBSTRUCTION OF THE DUCTS OF THE SALIVARY GLANDS. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health Care Magic It seems from the history that you are having swollen glands on the jaw during eating. These symptoms are typically seen in obstruction of the salivary glands. The salivary glands are mainly Parotid, submandibular and sublingual glands. The salivary glands secrete saliva required for digestion of food. The obstruction of the ducts of the glands leads to swelling of the gland as the gland secretions are not able to drain into the mouth because of obstruction which leads to swelling of the glands. The causes for obstruction of the salivary glands are mainly presence of stones in the ducts, stenosis of the ducts, inflammations of the ducts.... Since you are not having fever and other inflammatory symptoms the most probable reason may be because of stones in the ducts of the glands. This is called as meal time syndrome as the disease presents during eating. The next step is investigations by clinical examination and radiological tests like MRI scan or by endoscopy to look for the site and probable cause of the block of the ducts of the salivary gland. Depending on the cause treatment has to be undertaken. This is usually done by a oral cavity surgeon or by a ENT surgeon. Hope I have answered your query. With Regards Dr. Dadapeer K
Follow-up: Glands under ears are swollen. What could be the reason for swelling? 3 hours later
I am having achy finger (arthritis type) on occasion. Obviously caused by inflammation. Can this be the same inflammation causing occasional " meal time" syndrome? If so should NSAID drugs help to resolve the inflammation in my salivary glands? Thanks you
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: You can take antiinflammatory drugs. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thank you for the follow up query. Arthritis type of inflammation of joints associated with enlargement of salivary glands is usually seen in autoimmune disorders and they present with dry eyes and dry mouth along with joint pains. Hence arthritis type of inflammation of fingers is not associated with meal time syndrome. In your case Iam suspecting obstruction as the most probable cause for meal time syndrome. However there is no harm in trying with one course of non steroidal anti inflammatory drugs like Ibuprofen or Diclofenac as even obstruction can lead to inflammation. If the meal time syndrome is not responding to antiinflammatory drugs then I advice you to undergo evaluation as I have told in my primary answer. Hope the information helps you Thank you Wit Regards Dr. DADAPEER k