Giving zerolac milk powder, rice and dal to a baby. Unable to walk due to poor muscle tone. Suggestion

Feb 2013

Hi Doctor,

My Niece age is 13 months and she is allergtic to Lactos . we are giving Zerolac milk powder not mother feeding. we are giving rice and dal for meals. but she is stil not able to walk because of poor muscle tone . she can sit and stand . please suggest some good food list to improve her muscle tone.
Posted Sun, 5 May 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I advise you to continue the lactose free milk formula and rice and dal for meals.
After one year of age she can be given every thing cooked at home and this is called family pot feeding.

A one year old child should eat half of what the mother eats.

Coming to poor muscle tone, as you mentioned the child is a known Down syndrome, in this syndrome there will be poor muscle tone because of central nervous system (brain) dysfunction which is a spectrum of the syndrome.

So there will be mild delay in motor mile stones like walking, climbing, and running.

As the child is able to sit and stand at present, she may able to walk within 2 to 3 months.

As the poor muscle tone is due to a central cause, diet has no role in improving her muscle tone.

Child can be supplemented with calcium and vitamin D containing syrup forms as they will improve the skeletal growth and improve muscle tone to some extent and help in gaining motor milestones like walking.

Her thyroid function has to be investigated as the most of the children with Down syndrome are associated with hypothyroidism which is a cause for poor muscle tone and delay in milestones.

If found to have hypothyroidism on blood investigations, it should be treated by giving thyroid hormone as early as possible to improve her cognition, and tone.
Physiotherapy to some extent will improve the muscle tone and help her in gaining motor milestones at a faster rate.

Therefore I advise you to consult Pediatrician for the examination, investigation with thyroid function tests if not done previously, and for prescription of calcium and vitamin D supplementation.

Physiotherapist consultation is also required to suggest you regarding exercises which will improve muscle tone.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Dr. E. Venkata Ramana,
Consultant Pediatrician,