Giving stool softeners every 5th day. On docusate sodium. Safe?

My 101 Mother has been taking stool softeners. I give them to her every 5th day. Is that too often?
How often should she be taking them? I give her docusate sodium-100 mg.
Posted Wed, 21 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 1 hour later
Welcome to healthcare Magic,

Constipation is very common in old age due to decreased motility of the gut.But stool softners are not recommended for daily purpose until you have not passed stools for days because when you USE them regularly and stop suddenly the "after constipation" is a big trouble.

My advise is :

1.Ask her to take plenty of water
2.Diet XXXXXXX in fiber food should be encouraged
3.Physical activity
4.If it requires use natural bulk forming laxatives like Ispaghula husk.

Most of the times you will get relief from above mentioned ways, if you follow strictly. In situations where its too hard to get stools or in faecal impactation only the laxatives are considered.

Hope you are clarified,
If you have any further doubts let me know,
Follow-up: Giving stool softeners every 5th day. On docusate sodium. Safe? 25 hours later
Mom also has an "itching problem." It started when I mistakenly used a washing detergent with scent to wash her clothes. When I learned that scent could cause an allergic reaction that triggers "itching," I quickly changed to a "free" detergent without any scent. I know that her clothes are all clean and scent-free. But, she
she still scratches. I've taken her to 3 difference doctors (2 general practitioners and 1 dermatologist. They gave me : a compounded cream of Triancinolone in Sarna lotion and a tube of Clobetasol Propionate .05%. Clobetasol is strong: they
rec. only using it for a couple weeks. She still scratches in morning and night before going to bed. Is there anything else we can do to stop her from scratching?
I believe that the "itching" is partly psychological too.
Answered by Dr. Venkat Sivayogi 39 minutes later

Welcome back,

After going through the entire clinical description, I suspect the possibility of Contact Dermatitis. The condition will exaggarate when patient comes in contact with the allergans. So we should identify the possible cause(allergan) and should avoid contact with it.

Presently using medications will be sufficient, because she is already on High-potenet steroids.

Avoidance of allergan is the only best way that we can reduce the progression.