Giving pasturised milk to child. Now passing motion often. Any digestion problem?

Feb 2013

I m giving pasturised milk to my 5 mnths old baby from last week. From last two days he is passsing motions 3-4 times a day which he was passing only once before. Is there any digestion problm or any other problm, plz guide.
Posted Mon, 7 Oct 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
allergy or indigestion.Stop cow's milk.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Infants below the age of 1 year usually are not able to digest animal milk like cow's milk.

And there is a risk of allergy to milk protein if cow's milk is introduced below the age of 1 year.

Allergy to milk or indigestion may be the cause for increased frequency of stools in your child. And another possibility is contamination of milk during feeding with a bottle.

I advise you to stop the top milk. Usually the stool frequency of stool comes to normal after stopping cow's milk. But if stools are loose, a course of oral probiotic can be given for 3 to 5 days with the pediatrician advise.

Exclusive breast feeds till the age of 6 months is the best and gold standard method of feeding an infant.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any clarifications I will be happy to answer.