Giving child Meftal P every eight hours for fever. Can I give another dose if fever increases?

Question
My 4yr old has 102 temp and I am giving her Meftal P every 8 hrs. If her temp goes beyond 102 after 5 hours can I give another dose.
Posted Mon, 17 Sep 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Aparna Kohli 2 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
Whenever children have fever, we never prescribe a non steroidal anti-inflammatory drug like Meftal. These drugs can cause a rare condition called Reye's syndrome which can kill the child. So you should definitely not be using Meftal P for bringing down the fever. Only paracetamol is required at the dose of 15 mg/kg. This dose can be repeated every 4-6 hours. Please do not give her another dose of Meftal P. Also, use sponging with tepid water to bring down the fever.
Let me know her weight so that I can guide you further.

Follow-up: Giving child Meftal P every eight hours for fever. Can I give another dose if fever increases? 16 hours later
Thanks a lot. Her weight is 15kgs.

thanks for writing back.
The dose for her is 225 mg every 4-6 hours ( as required). If you're using Crocin syrup with 125 mg paracetamol per 5 ml, then you need to give her 1 and 3/4 tsp whenever required ( not more than 6 doses /day)

Hope that helps
If you do not have any more questions, please close the discussion.