Giving casein-free milk substitute to a 4 years old baby. Suggest some alternative?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My son is about 4 and half years old.He has to be given casein-free milk substitute. Please suggest some reliable & safe brand names of casein-free milk powder available in India.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
Thanks for posting your query .
I assume your child has been diagnosed to have a milk allergy or other such conditions which demand a casein free diet.
Some of the “milks” that we recommend as casein free milk substitutes are: almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, and rice milk.
Though many products are available in the market few of the common ones used in India are as follows ,
1. zerolac casein free powder is one such milk substitute .
2. Some other brands available are Nusobee soy ,Similac Isomil , Enfamil Prosobee etc
One cannot point out a best out of these but these are commonly available and used by pediatricians . Enfamil Prosobee and Similac Isomil are also gluten free in addition to being casein free so preferred if a child has been recommended a GFCF diet ( gluten free casein free diet ).
Hope I have answered your query .
Kindly accept my answer in case you have no further queries.
Wishing your child good health.
Follow-up: Giving casein-free milk substitute to a 4 years old baby. Suggest some alternative? 19 hours later

Thanks for the suggestion. The nagging doubt in my mind is about using the suggested products for 4-5 year old kids.Is it okay ? It appears that most of the substitutes available are for infants.
Please clarify.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Thanks for the follow up.
Yes , you are right in saying that most of the products are marketed as formula milk substitutes for infants . But they are equally used in older children with special conditions requiring casein free diet.
Likwise some milk powders like super fit soya milk powder etc might be marketed as adult consumables but those too can be used in children .
Ideally speaking mothers milk is the best for infants and children upto four years if they have to have a casein free diet but beyond that age group these formula milks are equally acceptable . It's not that your child is too old to consume it and it won't affect his nutrition if the rest of his diet is nutritious ( remember milk is just one part of his diet usually consumed twice daily ). So if you are concerned about his overall nutrition it's best to consult a professional nutritionist for a personalized diet plan .

Hope I have answered your query .