Given prednisone for chronic cough, came back after stopping it. Is it related to acid reflux?

I have a chronic cough. I do not believe it is allergies. My doctor gave me prednisone for a month and the cough went away. When I stopped taking the prednisone the cough came back. I think it is related to acid reflux. My doctor is out of ideas
Posted Sat, 14 Dec 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Need to be investigated! Detailed Answer: Hi and thank you so much for this query. I am assuming you don't smoke. if you do, please may I consider you continue quitting? I am so sorry to hear about this chronic cough. Though you think it is possibly related to reflux, it does not sit correct with the fact that it responds to prednisone and symptoms return upon stopping this drug. Reflux related chronic cough would not respond to prednisone. Also, you are on pantoprazole which should be able to control reflux related symptoms. Eating small quantities many times would help control these symptoms. Avoid eating late at night and laying flat shortly after meals. This is not the case. Please, we may need to consider other possible causes. Other possible causes of chronic cough include postnasal drip. This is common in persons who often have cold symptoms and tend to clear their throat often. Treatment involves prescribing antihistamines which work in very much the same way way as prednisone towards controlling this inflammation and the symptoms. I think this should be strongly considered and more so if you have the urge to constantly clear your throat. I hope this adds another dimension to the approach of this problem. I wish you well and please feel free to ask for clarifications and more information if need be. Thank you so much for using our services. Dr. Ditah, MD