Given pomegranate juice to an infant. Started passing green stool. Should I be worried?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, my baby is 4.5 months old. Yesterday I gave Pomegranate juice to her. After that I see that her stool is dark green in colour. She is breast fed completely, once ib a day i give her nanpro 1 formula milk. Because of the change in colour of her stool I am scared that has she got stomach infection. Please suggest
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
Please do not worry.
Yes, greenish frothy stools are often indicative of a gastrointestinal infection but are not diagnostic of the same.
Baby stools often depend on their food intake or sometimes on the maternal intake ( in breastfeeding babies).
If there is a sudden change in the consistency as well as frequency of your baby's stools then there is a chance of her having infective diarrhoea .
However just a change in stool colour for a day or two neednot necessarily be due to infection.
In order to guide you better I would like to know few details like her usual stool pattern , the current pattern since how many days?, any vomiting , fever ?, any fussiness or refusal to feed etc
Also if any medications , vaccination or other foods given apart from the pomegranate juice.
The most confirmatory way to diagnose an infection would be to get her stool sample tested.
Please remember that exclusive breastfeeding is best for babies under 6 months though if necessary formula feeding can be given.
Hope I have answered your query.
Awaiting your response ,
Follow-up: Given pomegranate juice to an infant. Started passing green stool. Should I be worried? 11 minutes later
Thank You so much for your quick response. To answer your question, my baby is not showing any other symptom like fever, vomitting etc. I gave her pomegranate juice yesterday afternoon and i noticed green stool yesterday evening and today afternoon. From last 10 days or so frequency of her stool has been twice a day. Before that her stool frequency was twice every alternate day or in 3 days. Few days back she was little constipated, on doctor's suggestion I was giving her enzyme and duphlac. Currently I am only giving her digestive enzyme, i have stopped duphlac. I missed to mention that the consistency of her stool has been same as before. And i had given boiled and mashed XXXXXXX couple of days back. Also formula milk once a day. Apart from that no outside food has been given to her.
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 13 minutes later
Thanks for the information .
Yes there is a risk of infection when small infants are introduced to solid foods . I would recommend you stop all medications , all solid foods except usual formula and breast milk for a period of 3-4 days . If the stool frequency and colour change back to normal then you neednot worry. If stool persists to be green or increases in frequency then get it tested ( stool routine and culture test). Your child's pediatrician will start appropriate treatment if the report is positive.
At present the situation is not much worrisome and could be due to change in her diet . Starting from today ,even after refraining from solids and medicines ( enzymes and duphalac) if her stools remain green after three days then it might need testing .If you are anxious you can get it tested rightaway .
The final report might take 72 hours however a partial report is given by the lab on the same day.
Please do not worry . Please feel free to ask any further doubts .