Given oflomac syrup for loose motions. Made her lethargic. Is the dosage high for a child?

My eight month old daughter is having loose motion and has been given oflomac syrup (5 ml twice a day) by her doctor. Is this dosage ok, or is it on the higher side (she is 7.2 kgs)? She is usually very active, but has now become very lethargic. She's taking the medicine for the past two days, and there's a slight improvement in her motion interval -- it has become 4-5 times a day now from one every hour on Monday.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I can appreciate the concern of an anxious parent. The normal dose of ofloxacin for child is between 5-10 mg/kg/dose. For her weight any dose between 40mg to 70mg is fine depending upon the severity of infection.

What is given to her is 50 mg twice daily.

The reason for lethargy could be dehydration due to loose motions. Please give her oral dehydration solution on continuous basis. Continue with breastfeeding.

You can give her plenty of fluids whatever she accepts.

Please see that she passes urine normally and take regular feeds.

In case there is refusal to feed, continuous decreases in activity or low urine output, please talk to your doctor immediately.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.

Wishing her good and speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Given oflomac syrup for loose motions. Made her lethargic. Is the dosage high for a child? 19 hours later
Thanks doctor for the clarification and advice. She doesn't have any problem in taking breast feed and we also give her vegetable soup (basically clear water after boiling vegetables in it). She however resists solid/semi-solid food. Could you suggest some OTC oral dehydration solution that we could use?
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Good to hear from you again.

You can simply make this at home,

Please take a glass of boiled and cooled water and add a pinch of salt, drops of lemon and some sugar and it is ready. Give her small quantity all the time during the day.

In market pediatral/W.H.O. approved ORS is available which is a ready made formula for kids. Feed her solution within 24 hours once prepared.

Some dislike for the food due to illness itself. Please continue feeding her and she will be fine.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wishing her good health.