Given local anesthesia for root canal treatment. Swelling and painful ulcer developed. Any medication?

Jul 2012

I went to a dentist for a root canal treatment and was given a local anesthesia. While eating, a little while after the treatment I bit my mouth (near wisdom tooth) unawares and later it has developed into a very painful ulcer . I am applying mucopain and also taking combiflam but is not helping much. There is visible swelling/inflammation on the side and increases during night. I am finding it very uncomfortable.I can continue the dental treatment only after the ulcer subsides.
Can you prescribe some medicines to reduce the pain and inflammation effectively. (Hydrocortisone lozenge/Benzydamine spray -is what I find suggested on the internet..).
Posted Sat, 10 Nov 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 38 minutes later
Hi there XXXXXXX
Do take Metronidazole 400mg tabs three times daily together with brufen 400-600mg (depends on your body weight) in the same dosage after meals for 3 days & review.
In addition, gargle before & after meals with local antiseptic/analgesics gargles that your local pharmacist will be happy to help you with.
With this, the ulcer should heal; remember to go with soft diet & lots of fluids & use the opposite side of the jaw.
With this you should be good to go in 72 hrs!
Hope the root canal treatment goes well too..Cheers!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD