Given antibiotic injection for lung infection. Got seizure attack and went to coma. Any thoughts?

My mother had a lung infection..she was given an antibiotic by belief is that she was given too much relative to her weight/allergic? ..she almost immediately took a fit/seizure and then went into a was a bank holiday no one was available to help/ nurse suddenly not available/ no one available.>>>was it a machaevillian bed saving process? ..the doctor next day said that the coma was irrevocable even though she winced and made a noise when hot water touched her accidentally...on reflection she seemed to go on some kind of generic morphine based exit strategy time ..impossibe ..I live with it ...we should have insisted on taking her home even in the coma for our own life based consideration.....this was 8 years ago.....any comment what you would have done if it was say your mother or some significant female in your life..give answer from doctors point of view and also say if you were a knowledgeable pro active son/daughter what the process is for being a respectul client service user... XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 29 Mar 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 2 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Anything O would have done could have been guided by the maximum sound scientific knowledge, morals, conscience and my code of medical medical. All I do is seeing into the betterment of the psychological, physical and mental health status of my patients.
I would have offered the best medical care I could such circumstances, informed the necessary step in the medical hierarchy for a probable evacuation under ideal medical conditions to an intensive care unit, with more varied clinical specialties for proper management. I think what gives satisfaction to a medical practitioner, especially under such difficult circumstances is seeing the patient better again. One at this point uses both medical, social and philosophical sciences, all in the utmost interest of the patient.
Thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD>
Follow-up: Given antibiotic injection for lung infection. Got seizure attack and went to coma. Any thoughts? 17 hours later
yes..thank you but..what about the antibiotic causing a fit/seizure /coma? and what about taking her home given that she was still responsive to allow a time/healing scenario
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
I think taking her home, not being very sure that she has become stable clinically is NOT good idea. She should be by a professional or under condition she could be monitored and interventions done nto improve her health whn necessary.
If an anti biotic can actually be inrminated in causing a seizure or leading to coma, there is no point giving the anti botic. The usual thing is its is rare, and other predisposing conditions could be ignored, and this ould lead to a false accusation of antibiotics as causative agents for the seizures or comas.
However, here are drugs that cause seizures or comas. these are howver rare events,. Other common causes of these scenarios must therefore be excluded before rare situations considered.
thanks and best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Given antibiotic injection for lung infection. Got seizure attack and went to coma. Any thoughts? 0 minute later
Grammar /communication issues: you used the word O for no reason? said medical medical?...does evacuation mean transfer?....comments too general: I know these things ethical factors you discuss as a philosopher...the medical bit is reiterated above for answering.. please apply the technical expertise here opr supply a refund or a complaints procedure...your answer should allow me key words to follow up in further study with other sources.. thanks again XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 minutes later
Thanks for your remarks and have a great day,
Luchuo, MD.