Given amplodipene for blood pressure along with chest pain instead of amytriptyline. Caused death. What could be the cause for death?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
By dr, just a question really, my mum was giving amplodipene when her blood pressure was already low with a chest infection, it was giving instead of amytriptyline her normal medication. As a result her condition deteriorated and she died in icy 10 later could this have contributed to her death?? The hospital has admitted giving her the wrong medication and are conducting their own investigation how this happened??
Posted Tue, 27 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 38 minutes later
Hi and welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for the query.
I am sorry about your mother.
Amlodipine and amytriptiline are not similar drugs and not used in same indications.
If there was wrong medicine given,then this is serious mistake of medical staff even if there wasnt direct consequance. And there could be serious direct consequance in this case since amlodipine is antihypertensive drug which is contraindicated in hypotension and sometimes(not commonly) it can lead to death if used inproperly. It is hard to say did it cause death or there would be different outcome if amlodipone wasnt used,especially since I dont know her condition just before it happened,but this is definitely something that should be investigated and you need to insist on answers. If this was severe chest infection then it could be the cause of death,but chest infections with hypotension could have been aggravated by amlodipine and in this case you have right to be concerned about wrong treatment. Some facts could be revealed on autopsy if it was performed.
If you have any questions I ll be glad to help.