Given ambrodil instead of ambrodil S to one year child. Should I be worried?

Dear sir, my boy is about to turn 1year old, earlier doc suggested Ambrodil -s syrup to him for cough...we were giving him the same but today while getting medicine I got Ambrodil instead of Ambrodil S and gave himalmost 5ml of it...will it create any problems to him? I will get Ambrodil S tomorrow but what will happen now
Posted Sat, 12 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 43 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Ambrodil-S contains salbutamol apart from the other ingredients present in Ambrodil. Salbutamol is given if the child has evidence of broncho-constriction as in asthma.

You have not done anything wrong by giving your son Ambrodil instead of Ambrodil-S. However I would have given him around 2.5 ml. instead of 5 ml. You can continue giving him the same medicine and in case there is no improvement in the next day or two then consider Ambrodil-S after discussing with your doctor for the need of salbutamol.

I hope I have responded to your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts of the case.

Wishing your son an early recovery.