Given PCV 1 series of vaccination. When should PCV 2 and PCV 3 vaccinations be given?

Pediatrician, Pulmonology
Hello Doctor,

This is regarding the PCV series of vaccination for my daughter.
My daughter is 5 months and 14 days old. She was given PCV – 1 vaccination on 04 May 13.
When the PCV – 2 and PCV – 3 vaccinations should be given?
Also, are PCV vaccinations essential and important in Indian Context?
Thanks in advance for your advice and information.

Regards, XXXXXXX U
Posted Fri, 30 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Arun 25 hours later

Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

PCV vaccine protects against pneumococcus diseases like pneumonia, brain infection and ear infection due to that bacteria.

Now how important is this in India, it is estimated that every year 40 lakh kids die in India due to pneumonia and brain fever of which this bacteria is almost responsible in 30 to 40 percent of the cases.
The other bacteria is HIB which is included in the pentavalent vaccine.

I and Indian Academy of pediatrics too recommends the PCV vaccine for routine use. Only issue is the cost. But that is nothing compared to life.

Your kid needs two more doses atleast in the next 2 months with a gap of atleast 1 month between the two, and a booster at 15 months.

Hope I answered your query.

Dr Arun