Given Fepanil drops by mistake to baby. Would that cause any complications?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my baby's doc advised to give her syrup fepanil 3 ml for fever, but by mistake I gave fepanil drops (Acetaminophen oral solution usp) 3ml, would that cause any complication? is there something to worry for?I need answer urgently. What can I do to avoid the side effects of paracetamol overdose, shall I visit a doctor urgently? she is crying , please help
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 22 minutes later
Hi there.

There is nothing to worry about.

Fepanil which comes as drops form or syrup form contains the same concentration of drug per mL.

Besides the drops come as 15mL and oral suspension come as 60ML.

Since it would be difficult for you to calculate and titrate the exact dose with the drops, it is advisable to get the oral suspension as prescribed by your baby's Doctor.

It's just that drops get absorbed from under the tongue faster than the suspension. No other significant differences.

Kindly perform hydrotherapy by wet sponge or towel by wiping of the forehead, axillae, groin regions to enable the fever to subside quicker. Keep baby well hydrated by feeding fluids at regular intervals as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Wishing speedy recovery.