Given Citalopram Orifarm 10mg for panic-attacks. Can I drink alcohol with this?

My doctor gave me Citalopram Orifarm 10mg for panic-attacks; which I suffer from.
He did say this was a very little dosis; and there was nothing I needed to worry about; while taking the medicine.

But I didn't ask this:
Can I drink alcohol while I take this medicin ?
when i say drink; I mean 2 glas of whine or something like that ? :)
just to be sure ?

Posted Mon, 12 Aug 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 1 hour later

Thanks for asking.

There are not many studies for the citalopam on the effect of alcohol on it.But as a general rule alcohol should be avoided as far as possible for the sedation which can be caused by using it with alcohol.

One or two drinks once in a while should be fine.

Please let me know if you need more information.
Follow-up: Given Citalopram Orifarm 10mg for panic-attacks. Can I drink alcohol with this? 6 hours later
Yes I did see that; but Citalopam can be given with much bigger dosis; and then Im sure; you have to be a Little more careful.
I take 10mg

So you say; I can be safe by drinking two drinks once in a while ?

Answered by Dr. Pankaj Malhan 8 minutes later
XXXXXXX dose of this drug is 80 mg , so you are right that you have been prescribed very small dose.

Alcohol has effect on the anxiety and mood with some patients having rebound anxiety and depression with it.

My advise will be not to take any alcohol for the period you are taking the medication for anxiety and depression.

Although 10 mg is not going to have a big interaction perse with alcohol especially if you take 2 drinks once a while, but it will be bettert if you can avoid alcohol alltogether.