Given BCG, HeP B and OPV during discharge. Having pus formation in BCG given spot. Normal?

Pediatrician, Neonatology

My baby is 1 month Old now. When we Discharged from hospital after baby birth, baby been given BCG, HeP B and OPV.

My baby having pus formation in BCG given spot. The pus forms and decollapes and forms. Is pus formation is any serious issue to be looked upon or is this normal on BCG spot which may cure by time. How many days will take pus to cure hy itself.

Currently we are keeping the spot dry at all times(before and after bath) without applying any medication. Is it correct.

Let me know your suggestion s.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later

Welcome to HCM!

I understand your concern reg BCG vaccine.

The normal reaction for BCG vaccination in any child is formation of a raised lesion at the site which ulcerates and then forms a scab.

It later heals completely and leaves a tiny puckered scar.

This whole process takes about 6 weeks from vaccination.

If it does not heal by then or discharges pus,there may be other causes like infection.

You have to show the baby to your pediatrician for evaluation.

Meanwhile avoid touching,scratching of the lesion and as you rightly said keep the area dry.

Good luck

God bless

Dr uma