Give information regarding lipomas with dioxin exposure

Question
Do you know of any medically scientific studies that link lipomas with dioxin exposure?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: There are a few studies Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query. One of the published studies asess the individual adipose tissue (subcutaneous lipomas) dioxin contamination in non-occupationally exposed persons living in France (adult patients undergoing a surgical ablation of benign lipomas), in relation to the corresponding individually evaluated mean daily dietary dioxin intake.This was a small study with 16 individuals & diet survey (questionnaire) included information on consumption of meat, fish, milk and dairy products, from which the individual daily dietary dioxin intake(DDDI) was calculated.They concluded that adipose tissue polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDD)/polychlorinated dibenzofurans PCDD/PCDFs levels are similar to levels in other European countries and USA without relation to sex or age, and can be considered representative European background concentrations. Hope this answers you query. Do write us for further queries.

Follow-up: Give information regarding lipomas with dioxin exposure 12 hours later
What I am really looking for is a medical opinion that people with high dioxin exposure show a higher incidence of developing benigh lipomas. This would include, but not necessarily limited to Agent Orange. I have found two examples, but need more ammunition to pursue a VA claim. I have already been granted a presumptive award for herbicide exposure. Is there anyone out there with experience dealing with Veterans? Sarcomas show plenty of data available. I am dealing with large numbers of lipomas. These are not supposed to painful; but many of mine are. The data does not have to be definitive in showing a link between dioxin and lipomas. If an opinion is offered, there must be a supportive study. Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Praveen 2 hours later
Brief Answer: There is causal relationship Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for writing us. Soft tissue tumor (lipomas, fibromas etc) are seen with dioxin exposure. There have been a causal relationship between these two and not a definitive relationship. However exposure to dioxin resulted in tumor in animals (rats- there is lot of literature supporting this murine data). I have seen one epidemiological study in which this association was evaluated in 15 subjects. But the results/association is not promising. If lipoma is painful, chances of malignancy have to be ruled out. This is evident on biopsy. Hope this addresses your query.

Follow-up: Give information regarding lipomas with dioxin exposure 2 hours later
Not a question here. I had one page of to this report; and now have it all. It does help alot. My submission does not have to be defintive to support my case. Thank You.

Answered by Dr. Praveen 8 hours later
Brief Answer: Dioxin & association with lipoma- Study Detailed Answer: Hi.Hope this study helps you-Its an epidemiological study. Title:Dioxins in adipose tissue of non-occupationally exposed persons in France: correlation with individual food exposure. Arfi C, Seta N, Fraisse D, Revel A, Escande JP, Momas I. Chemosphere. 2001 Sep;44(6):1347-52. Abstract: We evaluated individual adipose tissue (subcutaneous lipomas) dioxin contamination in non-occupationally exposed persons living in France (adult patients undergoing a surgical ablation of benign lipomas), in relation to the corresponding individually evaluated mean daily dietary dioxin intake (DDDI). The diet survey (questionnaire) included information on consumption of meat, fish, milk and dairy products, from which the individual DDDI was calculated. Sixteen subjects participated in this study. DDDI ranged between 1.06 and 3.31 pg I-TEQ/kg body weight, bw (mean value: 2.05+/-0.72). Adipose tissue polychlorinated dibenzo-p-dioxins (PCDD)/polychlorinated dibenzofurans (PCDF) levels ranged between 18.5 and 76.9 pg I-TEQ/g lipids (mean value: 35.6+/-14.8). No relation was found between the DDDI and adipose tissue PCDD/PCDF concentrations. The mean DDDI in France does not fundamentally differ from those found in other industrialised countries, is within the range of 1-4 pg I-TEQ/kg/day recently suggested by WHO-ECEH/ICPS for the tolerable daily intake of dioxins. Adipose tissue PCDD/PCDFs levels are similar to levels in other European countries and USA without relation to sex or age, and can be considered representative European background concentrations. Globalisation of alimentary production leads to a similar food exposure in Western European countries, in spite of dioxins accidental selective contaminations that are epiphenomenon and thus do not have any impact in human dioxin background levels. Keep us posted if any further queries.Thanks.