Gilbert's Syndrome. Ultrasound showed enlarged spleen. Had enlarged lymph nodes. Are they connected?

Hi, my son has Gilbert's Syndrome and has just had an ultrasound which found that he has an enlarged spleen. Are the two connected? He had the u/s because of enlarged lymph nodes.

Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Cancer
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations here.

Gilbert's syndrome is not known to cause enlargement of the spleen. This syndrome is a benign condition which leads to a mild elevation of the bilirubin. it is generally found only incidentally on screening blood work.

A number of things can cause enlargement of the spleen. Sometimes a viral infection may trigger this. This can also cause in Lagemann of lymph nodes.

If the spleen is confirmed to be enlarged your son's physicians will then try to find out what the most likely contributing factor is. At some point they may want to biopsy one of his lymph nodes to look at the tissue to see if there is anything which explains why they are enlarged. this workup will usually take several days to a week.

Again the answers your question is that the enlarged spleen is more than likely not do to Gilbert's.

Thank you again for somebody your question. I hope you have found my response to be helpful. If you have any additional concerns regarding your primary question I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Robert