Giddiness while passing motion. Reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Had giddiness when passing motion.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later

Did you have any headache, blurring of vision, ringing sensation or fullness in the ears, vertigo when you developed dizziness ?

Was there severe pain while attempting to pass motion ?

Do you have high or low blood pressure, diabetes ?

Do you have severe constipation and difficulty in passing stool ?

Is your stool black in colour of presence of blood mixed with it ?

The fact that you pass-out after passing a motion could signify many possible factors involves. Generally persons who try to push very hard for motion tend to be suffering from chronic constipation and the very effort of pushing can lead to dizziness and black-out. Other causes could be anemia, high or low blood pressure, severe pain while passing stools due to muscle spasm, dehydration etc.

If you have any pain or bleeding symptoms while passing motion, it would be best to get a checkup by your Surgeon. The dizziness could be due to low blood hemoglobin as in anemia, possibility of Meniere's disease where the room seems to rotate around you as well.

Depending on the cause one can decide the right treatment for you. Kindly consult your Doctor and get evaluated for the above mentioned problems first. Get a routine blood work done to look for anemia, get blood sugar and blood pressure tested.

Next time when you go to pass motion, make sure you have had enough water before that and also keep the door slightly open so that you can alert your loved ones from the nearby room faster if you feel anything abnormal again.

Eat a diet XXXXXXX in proteins and fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables. Drink plenty of water. Get 6-8 hours of sleep daily. Do Yoga for stress relief. Stress can also be a common cause for this problem. Avoid long working hours and stressful times should be compensated with frequent relaxation breaks.

Kindly do respond to my queries.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up query.

Wishing speedy recovery.