Giddiness, vomiting sensation and nervousness. What could be the underlying cause?

Aug 2013

ENT Specialist
Sir, yesterday after lunch , all of a sudden i got giddiness,vomittig sensation , nervousness, all around me revolving like feel cant seat , i have to walk with help of colleague ,motion, fear etc if i sleep on bed then ok otherwise if i seat all around me revolving/moving like feeling , vomiting sensation continue for last 5/ 6 hours but no actual vomiting only sensation . i have taken glucose water & stemistil & rest for 2/3 hours on bed in our office. then gone home by compnay bus. kindly advice . thanks
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 25 hours later
Brief Answer: could be a simple vertigo Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX and welcome to health care magic, I am Dr Sriram Nathan an ENT surgeon who has been treating thousands of patients with giddines over the years. Since you have mentioned that you had giddiness especially on getting up and you are better on lying down I would assume a peripheral vestibular problem which was the cause of your giddines. This simply means that you may have been suffering from either benign positional paroxysmal vertigo or one of the other common cause due to the problems in the inner ear. At the offset let me assure you that in spite of your multitude of problems, we can tackle all of them and you shall definitely feel better, it's only a matter of time. You need to understand that this is a common cause of giddiness and is treatable and curable so do not worry. You need to consider these: 1. Do not make sudden movements and do not look up or bend down suddenly 2. I would routinely start my patients on tablet called betahistine 48 mg for the control of your giddiness. Your doctor will know about this. 3. Take lots of water and reduce your salt intake immediately. 4. While climbing stairs you need to hold the side rails for support 5. As far as giddiness concerned, the body and the brain will usually get adapted to the problem and recover in a time period ranging from two weeks to two months. During this time you must give maximum support to your brain to recover. This can be in terms mental exercise and slow and steady movements. Do not however take complete bed rest as it will hamper the fast recovery. 7. keep your sugars and blood pressure in control with the consultation of your treating physician as they have a direct bearing on your giddines. 8. Since glucose water has not helped you, in all probability you may not have hypoglycemia or low sugar as a cause of giddines so you may stop the same. However, take an adequate diet and do not fast. Wait for some time for the acute episode to subside and keep your stress (both physical and mental) under control and am sure you will recover soon If however your symptoms are getting worse and not getting controlled then you must consult both an ENT surgeon and a neurologist who can better help you out with your problem. Hope you have a clearer picture on your problem and solution and I will be more than happy to help you out if you have any more doubts regards and get well soon Dr Sriram Nathan
Follow-up: Giddiness, vomiting sensation and nervousness. What could be the underlying cause? 1 hour later
ok sir thanks for your kind reply. yes i got vertigo problem .last attack 2/3 years back & allways keeep with me STEMISTIL medicine for emergency as per doctor advice. Now again i will consult Vertigo Specialist ie ENT doctor as per your advice thanks
Answered by Dr. Sriram Nathan 3 minutes later
Brief Answer: welcome Detailed Answer: hello again, You are welcome and dont worry you will definitely get better soon regards Dr Sriram Nathan