Giddiness, neck pain, heaviness in head. Have compression in cervical spine. RBC less and ESR more. Worry?

Hello doctor,
I have guiddy feeling since 3 days in the morning when I get up form the bed while lying down. Myhead is also bit heavy and have neck pain too.. I have a compression problem in my cervical spine and the neurologist told me that I need to be careful and avoid continuous neck movement and no wait on the neck.. I am doubtful if this guiddyness is due to this problem. Consulted a general physician, took a blood report. I was told my RBC is less and ESR count is more. taking antibiotics for 3 days to clear the infection and having mutlivitamin tablets too.
Pls help me
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 58 minutes later

Thanks for the query

Regarding giddiness, it has many causes. Based on the information provided to me it looks like anemia (low RBC count) is probably responsible for your giddiness. To assure you cervical spondylosis (neck problem) does not cause giddiness. So correction of your anemia will solve your giddiness problem.

Regarding the numbness in the right hand which is episodic, I feel it might be due to carpal tunnel syndrome in the right hand (compression of median nerve at the level of the wrist joint). Compression of the cervical spine at the level of C2-3 does not cause numbness in the hands unless C5-6 segment is also involved.

So I personally advise you to continue multivitamins along with wrist splint for the right carpal tunnel syndrome. I do agree with the doctor about the need for surgery.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R