Getting worms while having periods. What should be done?

My daughter only get worms when she has her period she is fifteen
Posted Fri, 26 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
The periods are not likely to be related to a worm infestation.
You should get a stool examination done for her to confirm the diagnosis.
Mebendazole is the treatment of choice and just one dose kills the worms. A second dose two weeks after the first is sometimes needed if the infection has not cleared. Please discuss regarding this with your doctor.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Getting worms while having periods. What should be done? 7 hours later
Why do this worm only appear when she has her period I ask her how long she has had this and she said a few month but they go away when her periods stop they are in her poo I check
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 51 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The appearance of worm like substance during the periods can be related to food matter, Steatorrhea (fat in stools), Cysts of worms, worms, and other foreign material. A stool examination can only confirm the diagnosis. As such periods may be associated with change in bowel habits but not with worm infestation.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.