Getting wobbly feeling in eyes. Looking for cure

Neurologist, Surgical
hi my eyes feel a bit wobbly like they are moving from side to side only happens now and then.
been to spec savers yesterday he said my vision is same as 6 months ago no degeneration .. forgot to mention it to him as it hasn,t happened for a few weeks
but come back today .. if it was nystagmus would he have picked up on it .or would he only notice it when it is happening
Posted Tue, 6 Nov 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 2 hours later
Thanks for writing to us
If you're not having an episode at that particular minute, picking this up requires a formal exam which the optometrist may not have done.
Generally, binocular vision is maintained by fusion process in our eyes. If this is due to muscular weakness, this fusion is broken and we have a wobbly feeling or diplopia or double vision. It generally occurs at the end of day or when you are tired.
If it is the only problem you require eye exercises only but if this is associated with headache or blurring of vision, CT head may be required. I think it would be best if you do make an appointment with your primary care physician to get this checked out.
Dr Vineet
Follow-up: Getting wobbly feeling in eyes. Looking for cure 15 hours later
hi i had a full exam 3 months ago and he checked my eyes again last week put drops in as well i did the colour vision test ect he told me my eyes were a bit dry and to use my eye drops more often he looked right at the back of my eyes also with a light and all the usual stuff .. i forgot to mention i get a field test done yearly at local hospital .went in may 2012 everything was fine i see a glucoma nurse who checks my eyes also because of my graves disease and glucoma in the family ..
i had gone back to the spec savers last week because my eyes were hurting in the light and getting a bit distorted sometimes ..and that seems to be getting better now i am using my drops again..
Answered by Dr. Vineet Saggar 48 minutes later

That is exactly what I thought - you most likely have muscular weakness of extraocular muscles. This is common in patients of graves disease and is called graves opthalmopathy. In this condition infiltration of extrocular muscles occur due to autoimmune response against extraocular muscles. This may give rise to movement restriction in a particular direction and diplopia.

I think you should visit a squint specialist for evaluation.

Thanks again. Hope this helped.
Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.